Nobody likes to admit that they are getting older. As we age, it starts to show in our face, skin, and the way we feel. It’s important to take the steps to stay healthy and happy as we age, otherwise getting older can be a real pain. You don’t want to pile on the weight, develop all kinds of illnesses, and lose your looks completely, do you? I thought not! This guide will help you to stay healthy and happy, so you can focus on the things most important to you in life.
Look After Your Skin
The skin is the largest organ in the body, so looking after it as we get older is essential. The earlier you can start, the better! Not only will you keep it healthier for longer, it’ll look better for longer too. Skin on the face and hands can easily be a sign that we’re ‘getting on a bit’. If you take care of it properly you should be able to trick people into thinking you’re younger than you are. Just look at Christie Brinkley; she’s 60 odd and still looks 30! Here are some steps you can take to look after your skin:
- Wash regularly.
- Always moisturise after a bath or shower.
- Exfoliate regularly.
- Use a body brush to increase circulation.
- Have spa/salon treatments occasionally.
- Use products to suit your skin type.
- Be consistent with your regime.
- Use products containing an SPF to protect from the sun (even when it isn’t hot or sunny).
Watch Your Diet
As we age, it becomes so easy to let that extra weight pile on. This can be due to a number of things, but our bodies find it harder to get rid of excess calories as we age. To stay at a healthy weight and avoid problems relating to obesity, make sure you watch your diet. Use these tips to nourish yourself from the inside out:
- Avoid pre packaged foods.
- Avoid foods labeled ‘low fat’, ‘low calorie’ and ‘diet’.
- Try to only eat foods that are natural and clean. These have the least added ingredients and are better for the body. Vegetables, fruit, lean meats and brown carbs are best.
- Don’t overdo the carbs.
- Use herbs and spices for added flavour and benefits.
- Watch your portion sizes.
- If you can’t pronounce ingredients on the label, you can bet the food is probably bad for you.
- Try replacing milk with a non dairy alternative.
- Keep your sugar under control by eating a couple of portions of fruit per day and not going overboard with snacks.
- Make ‘healthy swaps’ to begin with if you find eating a healthy diet difficult. For example, you could still have a burger, just make it yourself from home and use a whole grain bun. Go easy on the sauce and cheese, and have plenty of vegetables on the side. If you need a carb, go for sweet potato rather than white potato.
Get Some Exercise
Our bodies were built for exercise, so make sure you get some as regularly as you can! Go for a walk, a jog, do a class, lift weights; anything you enjoy! This will keep you motivated. You may even improve your body tone and shape, as well as fighting off illness and disease.
Don’t Be Afraid of the Doctor
Many people avoid going to the doctor unless it’s life or death, but it becomes so important to make appointments as you age. Getting regular checkups will ease your mind and make sure no issue has the chance to develop into something more. Even if you suspect you have a common condition like hemorrhoids, you should visit the doctor. They will prescribe treatment. You could treat yourself at home using a hemorrhoid cure from Hemocyl, but it’s best to visit the doctor to get an official diagnosis first.
Supplements help to nourish your body with vitamins and minerals that it’s struggling to get from food. Fish oils and multivitamins will keep you healthy and strong.
See Friends and Family
Seeing friends and family is essential for the health of the mind. Doing things with your loved ones should give you a sense of well being!
Step Out of Your Comfort Zone
Why not challenge yourself every now and again? There’s no reason you need to sit down and age quietly! Do a bungee jump. Climb a mountain. Do a charity mud run. Surprise people and yourself!
Smoking is the worst habit out there. If you smoke, get the help you need to quit now. If you don’t, stay as far away from it as possible!
Strive to Learn More
Learning helps to keep our brains healthy. Try brain training apps, crossword puzzles, reading, and similar activities to keep the brain engaged. Why not do a course and get a qualification? There’s no reason you can’t!
Take Care of Your Teeth
The teeth are another way people can usually tell how old we are. Take good care of your teeth and you will avoid gum disease and excess cavities. Keep them as sparkly, healthy, and white as you can!
Limit Consumption of Alcohol
If you enjoy alcohol, there’s no reason you should give it up; just be sensible with the amount you consume. Not only can it cause health problems, it can also make us pile on the pounds with the excess calories it contains. Stick to drinking it on special occasions, and don’t binge!
Get Plenty of Sleep
Rest is essential, so make sure you’re getting enough sleep. It should be quality sleep too, so make sure you’re not leaving lights on. You may find that you snore when you get older, and this can affect the quality of sleep too. Snoring isn’t always harmless, so see a doctor if this is something you do.
Follow these instructions and you’ll be healthy and happy no matter what age you are. You can then say, ‘ age is just a number!’ like you mean it. Thanks for reading!