It is important to know the actual causes of this condition before opting for treatment or home remedies. Women will not discuss this with others assuming that their’s was an isolated case, however contrary to popular belief vaginal order is something that most women suffer from at some point of time in their life. Due to sheer embarrassment women will stay away from educating themselves about the causes of vaginal odor and simple methods to treat it.
What causes vaginal odor?
The important causes of vaginal odor include
1. Bacterial vaginosis: It is condition where there is overgrowth or imbalance of certain bacteria in the vaginal region. It might result in a strong vaginal odor, the other symptoms are foul smelling vaginal discharge. Bacterial Vaginosis is pretty common among women in the US.
2. Over douching: Scented douches is one of the most important reasons for vaginal odor. It can also aggravate an existing condition. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), highly recommend that women avoid douching. Just like our alimentary canal, the vaginal region also has both good and bad bacteria, the good bacteria helps in maintaining the right pH in the vaginal region. Douching will change the balance between the good and the bad bacteria and hence the acidity will be changed. When this balance is titled, the bad bacteria will over grow resulting in conditions like yeast infection and Bacterial vaginosis.
3. Frequent Changing of Sexual Partners: The semen coming in contact with the female fluid during intercourse can create an imbalance in the flora of the vaginal region. Frequent change in sexual partners can even aggravate an existing condition.
There are also other reasons like menstrual periods, forgetting to remove tampons or napkins, hormonal imbalances and extensive usage of antibiotics and steroids. You can read more about the problem in the linked webpage.
Once you identify the cause for your condition, try to address the cause; addressing the cause will alleviate most of your problem. The next step is to treat the condition
1. Always wear good quality tampons/napkins and change them frequently. Even during the later days when the menstrual flow is light, make sure to change your tampons at regular intervals.
2. Whenever you wipe, do it from the front to back, this will prevent the harmful rectal bacteria entering the vaginal region.
3. Applying apple cider vinegar is a great home remedy for treading this condition. The best way to use it is to dip a tampon in a diluted solution of apple cider vinegar and then inserting it into the vagina. This will make the pH slightly acidic and will remove the bad odor.
4. It is also important to increase the intake of citrus fruits and citric juices. Consumption of fruits rich in Vitamic C can alleviate the condition.