Infrequent or hard to pass bowel movements result in constipation. In several cases constipation might be a symptom of a bigger problem, so it is very important to have a complete diagnosis before opting for home remedies. If your diagnosis has cleared you of any serious disease, then you could use simple and safe natural home remedies to relieve constipation. Most people will opt for a laxative whenever they are constipated, however you don’t need one. Healthy food that is rich in fiber along with good amount of fluids and exercise can cure constipation. The following is a list of home remedies that can work wonders:
1. Triphala Churna, an Ayurvedic supplement and is made up of three fruits – Amla or Indian gooseberry, Haritaki (Chebulic Myrobalan) and Vibhitaki(Bellirica Myrobalan). It is a very powerful natural laxative and helps to regulate bowel movements. This is also a health supplement, which improves skin health, immunity, and cures obesity.
2. Olive Oil/Castor Oil: Olive oil and castor oil stimulates the digestive system, they are more effective when taken along with lemon in an empty stomach. The lemon in the mixture acts as detoxifying agent as well.
3. Figs: Figs in every form (dried or ripe), are rich in fiber and hence increases the bulk and act as great natural laxatives. It is advisable to take figs along with milk.
4. Flax seeds: Flax seeds have very high percentage of fiber in it, and can relieve constipation. Flax seeds have been used as a home remedy for constipation in several countries/cultures for centuries. In addition to curing constipation, flax seeds have numerous other health benefits like fighting diabetes, staving off heart diseases and promoting weight loss.
5. Psyllium Husk: It is full of fiber and absorbs huge quantity of water rapidly and hence increases the bulk. In the intestine it creates a conducive environment for the good bacteria and aids in better digestion and cures constipation.
6. Fenugreek: This herb is widely used in Indian cooking, and it improves digestion and increases the bulk.
Know more about several other home remedies for constipation at http://www.mommyedition.com/home-remedies-for-constipation
Tips to avoid constipation:
Instead of fighting against constipation, it is better to avoid it. A healthy lifestyle and good food habits can prevent constipation.
- Avoid processed/refined foods like refined flour, refine sugar and highly processed ready to eat food items.
- Don’t over-eat or skip your meals. It is also important to eat at least 3-4 hours before you go to bed.
- Include fresh fruits and vegetables into your daily meal. Fruits and vegetables have fiber and are also nutritious.
- Add spices like cumin, turmeric, pepper and coriander while cooking; these spices will help in digestion.
- Drinking a lot of fluids is important, drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day.